My Bittersweet Christmas Story

by Alexandra Mihaescu

This is definitely a bittersweet story but something good is bound to come out of it. I’ve been wanting a juicer for a really really long time. In a perfect world, I would love to live on organic fruit juices and a gourmet vegetarian diet. It would be my ideal scenario for optimal health. But who has time to cook a gourmet vegetarian diet? My best shot at this “perfect world” scenario is a kick-ass juicer.

So my sweet, loving boyfriend got me one for Christmas. My very own Breville Juicer! Yay!! How cool is that?? I looked up tons of juice recipes and tips on surviving a juice cleansing and found some really cool stuff. I’m sure you’re still waiting for the bittersweet part of my story…ready? After I assembled my juicer, I put it back in the box to take it home. As I was walking down the stairs, the bottom of the box gave out and my juicer went crashing down the stairs. Needless to say, it’s gone!!!! My gorgeous, perfect juicer is gone! Actually, only one piece shattered, which I’m hoping to replace and maybe soon, I’ll get back on track towards my perfect health goal.

But for the time being, you should give it a try while I get my juicer hardware in order…here are those cool juice & health websites I found:

1. Juice recipes from Freedomyou.com. This is the recipe for one of my favs…haven’t tried it yet, but it sounds delish! The recipe calls for a can of pineapple from concentrate but I prefer everything fresh.

Athlete’s Super Fuel

1/2 watermelon
1 lemon
5 oranges
1 cup pineapple

2. Learn all about juice fasting and what it can do for you from Dr. Emily Kane and Michele Tune.

3. Or you could skip the juicer and have someone make them for you. Mary’s American Yogini retreat in the Hamptons is the ideal place…totally relaxing getaway, full of yoga and all you can drink natural juices! She even delivers fresh juices and shows you how to make them on her site.

4. And if you’re a visual kind of person and need some extra motivation check out WeghtView.com. It’s a cool site that shows you what you look like after you’ve lost that stubborn 10-20 pounds.

Do you have any great juice tips or recipes? I’m a total amateur so the more the merrier. =)

{ 2 trackbacks }

Healing with (Raw) Juices By Michele L. Tune » Blog Archive » News: Top Health Blogger
January 14, 2009 at 11:44 pm
Healing with (Raw) Juices By Michele L. Tune » Blog Archive » Health Sites I Love
January 17, 2009 at 11:59 am

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Andrea December 30, 2008 at 12:52 pm

So sorry about the juicer, but good to know that it is fixable! I think that a trip to the American Yogini retreat would be a great way to start the New Year! Let’s go! Oh – can you find a babysitter for my kids? :-)

Seriously though – I was researching juice fasts a couple of days ago and thinking about the benefits. It’s interesting. Have you done it before? What were your results? Did you feel healthier? Did you lose weight?

2 Liz Pagliarini December 30, 2008 at 1:24 pm

My husband and I got a juicer for Christmas, too! We are loving it. As I write this, I am drinking 2 pears and an apple. . . He gets much more creative. Hope you get your replacement part soon! Happy Juicing!

3 Alexandra December 30, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I’ve never done it before but I think I could drop a few pounds if I do! I would’ve started this week if the juicer didn’t break…lol…I’ll let you know how I do once I’m back up and running.

Nothing tastes better than fresh fruit juice! I love it. And I like to get creative too…I’ll definitely post my concoctions on here. Should be fun! =)

4 Alisa Bowman January 2, 2009 at 1:09 pm

We got a juicer as a gift when we got married 10 yrs ago. I only used it a few times! If I still have it, I’ll mail it to you. It’s not as nice as the one you got for Christmas, but it works… at least it used to.

5 Michele January 4, 2009 at 11:45 am

Hi Alexandra,

I love juicing! Thank you so much for sharing the link to my juicing site. It’s very kind of you. I am so sorry your beautiful juicer crashed down the stairs! :-( Hopefully you’ll be able to juice soon.

Here’s to a healthy and prosperous 2009!

*smiles*
Michele

6 Alexandra February 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Got an update on my juicing dilemma…After a whole month of waiting for my replacement part, Breville sent me the wrong one!! So I’m still not juicing. I guess I’ll have to wait another month for the right one to come in. Crazy huh??